At Martide we know that as crew change dates creep ever closer, filling certain positions can be a great source of stress. There always seems to be certain seafarer ranks that you struggle to find candidates for. Not only that but there are so many different components that make up every crew change that simplifying your process is virtually a must.
And that’s why Martide has created the Crew Change feature. Our aim in designing and building this function is to simplify what can be a complex issue for many small to medium sized shipping companies.
Luckily, the Crew Change feature is easy to use - and in this blog post we’re going to walk you through how to use it to your advantage.
How to make crew change over easier than ever
First of all, log in to your Martide employer account. In the top header bar you will see Crew Change over there on the right. Click on it:
You will then see a page that looks like this:
This is the main Crew Change page which shows you at a glance where you stand with your vessels and their crew change over dates. This dashboard also shows you how many crew members you will have off signing on that date, and how many who will be on signing. You can also see flight details and the status of the change over.
To break that down, on this page you can:
- Check what Crew Changes you have up and coming.
- See how many on- and off-signers you have.
- Find a vessel by typing its name into the Search bar.
- Add a new Crew Change.
- Edit or delete an existing Crew Change.
- Change the status of a Crew Change by selecting In Progress, Pending, Cancelled or Completed from the drop down box on the right.
How to add a new Crew Change
It’s as easy as ABC to add a new Crew Change. Simply click on the blue button on the top right that says +Add new. That will show you a pop-up box that looks like this:
In our example above, our vessels are just called vessel1 and vessel2 etc - but your drop down list will show you the names of your actual vessels, providing that you’ve entered them into the system.
Choose the vessel you want to create a Crew Change for then click the Select button. That will take you to this box:
This is pretty self explanatory! Enter your crew change date into the box and click the Add button.
That will take you to a new Crew Change page. It looks like this:
The only information that will be showing is the name of your vessel - in our example that’s vessel1 - and the changeover date that you entered in the previous screen.
Now on this page you can fill in the rest of the information by:
- Selecting the airport a seafarer is to leave from.
- Selecting the status of the crew change: Pending, In Progress, Cancelled, or Completed.
- Selecting the port the crew change will take place at.
- Entering the port agent’s email address.
- Entering the berthing date.
- Entering the berthing time.
How to add on- and off-signers
Once you’ve entered all of that information it’s time to select your crew members who are signing off and on.
To do this, click on the highlighted text that says +Add Off Signers. That will open up a pop-up screen with a list of all seafarers who are currently on the vessel. If you have no one to sign off the pop-up looks like this:
In this box you can:
- Look for a seafarer by entering their name in the Search bar.
- Filter seafarers by rank, candidate pool or status (Active, Applicant, Retired etc)
- Select the seafarer who is off signing. They will then appear on the main screen.
Back on the main page, click on the highlighted text that says +Add On Signers. If you have any on signers the pop-up box will look something like this:
You can see from our example above that we have checked the box next to Ferdinand Magellan as we want him to join our vessel on this particular crew changeover. When we click the blue Add To On Signers button at the bottom, he will appear on the main page:
Next to the seafarer’s name you can see 4 icons:
- Airplane: when this is bold, it tells you whether flights have been booked.
- Document: when this is bold, it tells you that all documents are correct.
- Passport: when this is bold, it tells you that the seafarer holds the correct visa(s).
- Contract: when this is bold, it tells you that the contract has been signed.
Click on the little down arrow at the end of the row to open up more information:
Here you can see that:
- The contract length has not been set yet.
- The seafarer’s home airport is LIS (Lisbon, Portugal).
- His passport information still needs to be entered into the system.
- You can delete that seafarer from the on signer list by clicking the red Delete button.
If you want to delete an entire Crew Change scroll to the bottom of the page and click the red Delete this crew change button:
And that is how to effectively and efficiently manage your crew changes when you’re using Martide’s maritime recruitment and crew management software solution! If you would like to read a briefer step by step guide to the Crew Change feature, you can find that here on our dedicated Support website.
You will also find a whole range of guides there for shipowners and ship managers which will walk you through everything from some of our lesser known, but still essential, features to our main pages.
Want to learn how to quickly and easily change the abbreviations for seafarer ranks that we use by default to the ones your shipping company uses? No problem. Interested in finding out how to use Data Templates? We have you covered.
Want to learn more about creating a job vacancy so you can get those seafarer jobs filled quickly? Yep, our Support site will help.
If you’d like to browse all of our help guides for shipowners and ship managers, you can do that here. Meanwhile we also have a selection of support guides for Manning Agents who use Martide too - you can find those here.