When you first log in to your Martide account you will notice that there are two options in the header bar at the top: Candidates and Seafarers. So what’s the difference between them?
- Candidates are people who have applied for a job or whose profiles were created by your company or an employer.
- Seafarers are people who have previously been hired - i.e. ex-crew.
Understanding your Candidates page
Log in to your Martide account and click on Candidates in the menu on the left. You will be taken to a page that looks like this:
Here you can:
- Import candidates from a file by clicking the Import Candidates button.
- Add a new candidate by clicking the Add Candidates button.
- View your candidates’ name, rank, availability date, nationality and status.
- Filter candidates by the preferences in the white boxes at the top, or by the little ‘pyramid’ icon next to Name, Rank, Availability, Nationality and Master Status.
- View and edit a candidate’s profile by clicking on their entry in the list.
How to view and edit a candidate
Click on a candidate’s name in the list and you will be taken to their profile page. That page looks like this:
The profile page is long so to make it easier to find the information you need, click on any of the headers at the top under the candidate’s profile picture and basic info and you will be automatically taken to that section.
There are sections for the candidate’s: Status, Employment, Work, Education, Personal Details, Address, Skills, Physical Specifications, Emergency Contacts, Preferences, Language, Social Media, Bank Accounts, Medicals, Visas, English Test, Licenses, Flag State, Travel, Certificates, Endorsements, Training, Notes, Payslips and Appraisal.
We will take a brief look at each section in a moment.
Also on this page you can:
- See the candidate’s photo, name, rank, nationality, gender, phone number and email at the top.
- Export the candidate’s profile as a PDF by clicking the Export PDF button.
- Send the candidate a message by clicking the Send message button.
- Edit and add info to the candidate’s profile.
Sections in a candidate’s profile
As a manning agent, all sections can be viewed, but you are only able to add to and edit some sections. You can do this either by clicking the + Add text at the bottom of the sections or by clicking the little pen icon in the top right corner of certain sections.
- Status: use the drop down arrow to set whether the candidate is active, retired, an applicant, unavailable etc. You can also add the candidate to a Seafarer Pool.
- Employment: rank, vessel name, sign on and off dates, client and status of the candidate’s application (i.e. interview or negotiation.)
- Work Experience: current and previous work experience including rank, dates of employment, vessel name, vessel specs, and the management and agent companies.
- Education: school, country of education, field of study, certification and dates.
- Personal Info: the candidate’s name, email, date and place of birth, gender, marital status, rank, job status (i.e. actively looking), and local airport.
- Address: the candidate’s address(es).
- Special Skills: add notes with any special skills the candidate might have.
- Physical Specifications: height, weight, shoe and clothing sizes, blood type, and hair and eye color.
- Emergency Contact: emergency contact and next of kin details.
- Preferences: the candidate’s availability date and preferences for vessel type, DWT, engine type, salary and contract length.
- Language: languages the candidate speaks.
- Social Media: the candidate’s social media accounts, if any.
- Bank Account: details of the candidate’s bank account(s).
- Medicals: medical certificate details including the type of examination, country of issue and dates. You can upload copies of the certificates here.
- Visas: details of visas held by the candidate. You can upload copies of the visas here.
- English Test: if the candidate has taken Martide’s English Test you can save the results and upload them here.
- Licenses: type of licenses, document number, country of issues and dates. You can upload copies here.
- Flag State: Flag State Endorsement and Seaman Book details. You can upload copies here.
- Travel: passport and Seaman Book details. You can upload copies here.
- Certificates: type of certificate, country of issue, dates, and document number. You can upload copies here.
- Endorsements: type of endorsement, country of issue, dates, and document number. You can upload copies here.
- Training: type of training, country, dates, and document number. You can upload copies here.
- Notes: make notes for yourself and anyone else you've given access to.
- Payslips: upload payslips along with the vessel name, rank and dates of employment.
- Appraisals: appraisal dates and any uploaded attachments.
How to add a new candidate
To create a new candidate and add them to your database, click the blue + Add Candidate button at the top of the main Candidates page:
You will then see a pop-up box that looks like this:
Here you can:
- Enter the seafarer's email address, name and date of birth.
- Click the Add Candidate button and you'll be taken to their new profile page. It looks like the profile page we looked at above. Now you can fill in the candidate’s information by clicking the pen icon or +Add text as before.
How to import candidates
If you already have a spreadsheet of candidates, we’ve made it easy to import and upload their details so you don’t have to enter each one individually.
On the main Candidates page click the Import Candidate button at the top of the page:
You will then see this pop-up box:
Here you can:
- Drag and drop, or upload, a file from your computer by choosing the relevant method. Click Start Import.
- Download a Sample File by clicking on Download Sample File. This opens an Excel spreadsheet that you can use as a template to make sure you enter information correctly so the system uploads it without any issues:
How to filter candidates
On the main Candidates page click on one or more of the filters at the top of the page:
You can filter candidates by: General, Personal Data, Work History, Language, Medical, Identification and Documents.
When you click on a filter it will bring up a pop-up box. For example, this is what you will see if you select the Work History filter:
Now you can filter the results by which vessel a candidate has served on, the dates served and the type of ship.
The filters let you search by:
- General: name, email, seafarer pool, rank, manning agent, availability dates.
- Personal data: home country, date of birth, home airport.
- Work history: vessel served on, start and end dates, vessel type.
- Language: main language spoken.
- Medical: medical test type, valid until date.
- Identification: nationality.
- Documents: document type, issuing country, document number, valid until date.
To hide the filters click on the blue Filters button at the top right of the page:
If you click on this the filter boxes will disappear:
To bring them back, simply click on the Filters button again.
You can also filter using the little ‘pyramid’ icon next to Name, Rank, Availability, Nationality and Master Status however this will only change the order in which the entries are listed alphabetically. For example the default setting is to list from A through Z. If you click on the icon, it will reverse that so they are listed Z through A.
We hope you've found this guide to the Candidates page helpful but if you need any other help please don't hesitate to get in touch here.