Being able to communicate in English is crucial for seafarers which is why we created the English Test feature. This makes it easier for you to see which of your candidates have knowledge of the language so you can decide whether to consider them for your clients’ vacancies. Here’s how to use the feature.
Understanding the English Test feature
Log in to your Martide account and click on Settings in the drop down menu under your profile picture. Then click on English Test:
When you click on English Test you will see this page:
Here you can:
- Add an English Test to the list by clicking the +Add English test button at the top. (If you do not see the English Test you require, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will add one for you.
- Choose which countries you want to be able to skip the test. For example, if you hire seafarers from countries that have English as a native or second/official language you might not want candidates from those countries to have to take the test. You can add as many exempt countries as you like by clicking in the Exception Countries box and typing the first few letters of the country's name. Candidates from those countries will not see the test in their recruitment Pipeline.
- Enter the minimum score that anyone taking the test must achieve. This score is your pass/fail rate.
- Edit or delete an English Test by clicking the pen icon (edit) or trash can icon (delete).
How to set your minimum pass/fail rate score
Click the pen icon to the right of the name of the English Test:
You will see this pop-up box:
Enter your fail/pass rate into the minimum score box and click Save.
How to check a candidate’s English Test score
Go to the Candidates Page and you will see a list of all of your applicants.
Click on a candidate's name and you will be taken to their seafarer profile where you can see all their information:
Either click on English Test in the header shortcut bar - see above outlined in red - or scroll down the page where you’ll find the English Test section towards the bottom:
You can see that in our example above, the candidate passed her test with a full score of 100. If she had failed, the section would instead look like this:
How to add a candidate's English Test results
Click on the blue text that says + Add English test (see the image above.) You will see this pop-up box:
Here you can:
- Select the test you used from the English Test Type drop down menu.
- Enter the candidate’s test score in the box below.
- Upload the candidate’s results/correct answers.
- Upload the candidate’s failed test results (if they have any.)
- If the candidate got a perfect score and didn’t fail any questions, click the No failed questions box. The pop-up box will change to look like this:
Notes about the English Test feature
- You can upload as many English Test results for each candidate as you want.
We hope you’ve found this page about using the English Test function useful but if you have any questions please contact us at email@example.com