At Martide we know different companies use different abbreviations for seafarer ranks. That’s why we’ve created the Ranks function, so you can change our set abbreviations to your own, if any of ours are different to the ones you prefer. Here’s how to do that.
Understanding your Ranks page
Log into your Martide account and click on Settings in the drop down menu under your profile picture and then on Ranks:
That will take you to a page that looks like this:
Here you can:
- See all the ranks in the system and their abbreviations.
- Edit existing ranks by clicking the pen icon.
- Change the order that the ranks are listed by dragging and dropping the 3 lines.
You can see from the image above that in Martide’s system, our abbreviation for 1st Engineer is 1/E, our abbreviation for Able Seaman is AB and our abbreviation for Bosun is BSN etc.
How to edit a rank
Click the pen icon next to the rank you want to change. You will see a pop-up box like this. In our example, we're going to edit our Chief Cook (CCK):
Here you can:
- See the original name of the rank - in this case it is Chief Cook. You cannot change this.
- See the name of the rank. Our default is always the same as the original name, but you can change this to whatever you want.
- See the abbreviation for the rank - in this case it is CCK but you can change this to whatever you want.
For example, if your company just uses Cook instead of Chief Cook you might want to change it like this:
Click Save and your changes will appear on the main Ranks page:
How to change the order of ranks
Click on the 3 lines to the left of the rank. Simply drag them up or down to rearrange the order then click the Save the order button at the bottom of the page:
And that's it. We hope this helps you get the most out of the Ranks page but if you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com