At Martide we know different manning agencies use different abbreviations for seafarer ranks. That’s why we’ve created the Ranks function, so you can change our set abbreviations to your own, if any of ours are different to the ones you prefer. Here’s how to do that.
Understanding your Ranks page
Log into your Martide account and click on Settings in the drop down menu under your profile picture and then on Ranks:
That will take you to a page that looks like this:
Here you can:
- See all the ranks in the system and their abbreviations.
- Edit existing ranks.
- Set ranks as active or deactivate them.
- Change the order that the ranks are listed.
You can see from the image above that in Martide’s system, our abbreviation for Master is MAS, our abbreviation for Chief Officer is C/O and our abbreviation for Second Officer is 2/O etc.
How to edit a rank
Click the pen icon next to the rank you want to change. You will see a pop-up box like this. In our example, we're going to edit our Second Officer (2/O):
Here you can:
- See the original name of the rank - in this case it is Second Officer. You cannot change this.
- See the name of the rank. Our default is always the same as the original name, but you can change this to whatever you want.
- See the abbreviation for the rank - in this case it is 2/O but you can change this to whatever you want.
- Change the status of the rank by activating/deactivating it. We will cover this below.
For example, if your company uses Second Mate instead of Second Officer you might want to change it like this:
Click Save and your changes will appear on the main Ranks page:
How to activate or deactivate a rank
If there are ranks in Martide's system that you don't need, you can set them so they are not active. You can do this in 2 ways:
- Click the blue button next to the rank on the main Ranks page.
- Click the blue button at the bottom of the pop-up box when you edit a rank.
When the button is blue, the rank is active. If you click it so that it turns white, the rank is no longer active.
How to change the order of ranks
Click on the 3 lines to the left of the rank. Simply drag them up or down to rearrange the order then click the Save the order button at the bottom of the page:
And that's it. We hope this helps you get the most out of the Ranks page but if you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected]