When you log into your Martide account you’ll see that there are two options in the side menu: Candidates and Seafarers.
- Candidates are people whose profiles were created by your company or by an employer.
- Seafarers are candidates who you have approved for a position. You can approve seafarers and you can apply them to positions. You can also create new seafarer profiles.
As a manning agent, there are 2 ways you can move someone from the Candidate database into the Seafarer database:
- When you are certain a candidate is suitable for the position, change their Master Status in their profile to Active. They will be automatically moved to the Seafarer page.
- If you already know the person and are sure they are suitable for a position you can create a profile for them directly in the Seafarer page.
We will cover these two things below.
Using your Seafarers Page
To get started, log into your Martide account and click on Seafarers in the side menu. You'll be taken to a page that looks like this:
Here you can:
- View your list of seafarers.
- Add a new seafarer by clicking the +Add seafarer button at the top right.
- Check and/or edit a seafarer’s information by clicking on their name.
- Filter seafarers using the preference boxes at the top, or the 'pyramid' icons next to Name, Rank, Availability and Status.
How to check and/or edit a seafarer
Click on a seafarer’s name in the list. You will be taken to their seafarer profile page, which looks like this:
The profile page is long so to make it easier to find the information you need, click on any of the headers at the top under the seafarer's profile picture and basic info and you will be automatically taken to that section.
There are sections for the seafarer's: Status, Employment, Work, Education, Personal Details, Address, Skills, Physical Specifications, Emergency Contacts, Preferences, Language, Social Media, Bank Accounts, Medicals, Visas, English Test, Licenses, Flag State, Travel, Certificates, Endorsements, Training, Notes, Payslips and Appraisal.
We will take a brief look at each section in a moment.
Also on this page you can:
- See the seafarer's photo, name, rank, nationality, gender, and email at the top.
- Add the seafarer to an assignment (vacancy) by changing their Master Status to Active.
- Export the seafarer's profile as a PDF by clicking the Export PDF button.
- Send the seafarer a message by clicking the Send message button.
- Edit and add information to the seafarer's profile.
- Add the seafarer to a Seafarer Pool if desired.
Sections in a seafarer's profile
As a manning agent, all sections can be viewed, but you are only able to add to and edit some sections. You can do this either by clicking the + Add text at the bottom of the sections or by clicking the little pen icon in the top right corner of certain sections.
- Status: use the drop down arrow to set whether the seafarer is active, retired, an applicant, unavailable etc. You can also add the seafarer to a Seafarer Pool.
- Employment: rank, vessel name, sign on and off dates, client and status of the seafarer's application (i.e. interview or negotiation.)
- Work Experience: current and previous work experience including rank, dates of employment, vessel name, vessel specs, and the management and agent companies.
- Education: school, country of education, field of study, certification and dates.
- Personal Info: the seafarer's name, email, date and place of birth, gender, marital status, rank, job status (i.e. actively looking), and local airport.
- Address: the seafarer's address(es).
- Special Skills: add notes with any special skills the seafarer might have.
- Physical Specifications: height, weight, shoe and clothing sizes, blood type, and hair and eye color.
- Emergency Contact: emergency contact and next of kin details.
- Preferences: the seafarer's availability date and preferences for vessel type, DWT, engine type, salary and contract length.
- Language: languages the candidate speaks.
- Social Media: the seafarer's social media accounts, if any.
- Bank Account: details of the seafarer’s bank account(s).
- Medicals: medical certificate details including the type of examination, country of issue and dates. You can upload copies of the certificates here.
- Visas: details of visas held by the seafarer. You can upload copies of the visas here.
- English Test: if the seafarer has taken Martide’s English Test you can save the results and upload them here.
- Licenses: type of licenses, document number, country of issues and dates. You can upload copies here.
- Flag State: Flag State Endorsement and Seaman Book details. You can upload copies here.
- Travel: passport and Seaman Book details. You can upload copies here.
- Certificates: type of certificate, country of issue, dates, and document number. You can upload copies here.
- Endorsements: type of endorsement, country of issue, dates, and document number. You can upload copies here.
- Training: type of training, country, dates, and document number. You can upload copies here.
- Notes: make notes for yourself and anyone else you've given access to.
- Payslips: upload payslips along with the vessel name, rank and dates of employment.
- Appraisals: appraisal dates and any uploaded attachments.
How to add a seafarer to an assignment
To add a seafarer to an assignment (a vacancy) change the Master Status in their profile to Active:
The seafarer will automatically be moved from Candidates and will now appear on the Seafarers page.
How to filter and search for seafarers
To filter your search, go back to the main Seafarers page and click on one or more of the filters at the top of the page:
You can filter seafarers by: General, Location, Personal Data, Work History, Language, Medical, Identification, Documents and Status.
When you click on a filter it will bring up a pop-up box. For example, this is what you will see if you select the Work History filter:
Now you can filter the results by which vessel a seafarer has served on, the dates served and the type of ship.
The filters let you search by:
- General: name, email, seafarer pool, rank, manning agent, availability dates.
- Location: onboard, ashore.
- Personal data: home country, date of birth, home airport.
- Work history: vessel served on, start and end dates, vessel type.
- Language: main language spoken.
- Medical: medical test type, valid until date.
- Identification: nationality.
- Documents: document type, issuing country, document number, valid until date.
- Status: active, unavailable, NFR (not for rehire), retired, left.
To hide the filters click on the blue Filters button at the top right of the page:
If you click on this the filter boxes will disappear:
To bring them back, simply click on the Filters button again.
You can also filter using the ‘pyramid’ icon next to Name, Rank, Availability and Status however this will only change the order in which the entries are listed alphabetically. For example the default setting is to list from A through Z. If you click on the icon, it will reverse that so they are listed Z through A.
How to add a new seafarer to the system
On the main Seafarers page click the blue +Add seafarer button at the top right of the page:
You will be shown this pop-up box:
Here you can:
- Enter the seafarer’s email address and date of birth.
- Enter their first and last name.
- Click the blue Add seafarer button to create their profile.
Once you’ve clicked Add seafarer you will be taken to the seafarer’s new profile page where you can fill in the rest of their information and upload their documents and certificates:
A couple of things to note:
- Because you created the seafarer profile directly in the seafarers page, their Master Status is automatically set to Active. They will not appear on the Candidates page.
- Because you created the profile, your company's name will appear next to Manning by: and Created by:
We hope you've found this guide to the seafarers page helpful but if you need any other help please don't hesitate to get in touch here.