When you log into your Martide account you’ll see that there are two options in the header bar at the top: Candidates and Seafarers. So what’s the difference between them?
- Candidates are people whose profiles were created by your company or a manning agent, OR who have applied for one of your jobs, OR who have been applied to one of your jobs by a manning agent.
- Seafarers are people who have previously worked for you - i.e. ex-crew.
To understand your Candidates page, click here. Please note that for a person to be moved to the Seafarer page, you will need to add them to a position on the Candidates page and hire them. They will then move from Candidate to Seafarer.
Understanding the Seafarers Page
To get started, log into your Martide account and click on Seafarers in the side menu. You’ll be taken to a page that looks like this:
Here you can:
- View your list of seafarers.
- Check and/or edit a seafarer’s information by clicking on their name.
- Filter seafarers using the preference boxes at the top, or the little 'pyramid' icons next to Name, Rank, Availability and Status.
How to check and/or edit a seafarer
Click on a seafarer’s name in the list. You will be taken to their seafarer profile page, which looks like this:
You'll notice at the top there are two tabs: Profile and Notes. We'll explain Notes shortly but for now we're looking at the Profile tab.
The profile page is long so to make it easier to find the information you need, click on any of the headers at the top under the seafarer's profile picture and basic info and you will be automatically taken to that section.
There are sections for the seafarer's: Status, Employment, Work, Education, Personal Details, Address, Skills, Physical Specifications, Emergency Contacts, Preferences, Language, Social Media, Bank Accounts, Medicals, Visas, English Test, Licenses, Flag State, Travel, Certificates, Endorsements, Training, Payslips and Appraisal.
We will take a brief look at each section in a moment.
Also on this page you can:
- See the seafarer's photo, name, rank, nationality, gender, and email at the top.
- Add the seafarer to an assignment (vacancy) by clicking the Add to assignment button.
- Export the seafarer's profile as a PDF by clicking the Export PDF button.
- Send the seafarer a message by clicking the Send message button.
- Edit and add information to the seafarer's profile.
- Switch to the Notes view to see any saved info about the seafarer.
Sections in a seafarer's profile
Sections can be viewed, added to and edited either by clicking the + Add text at the bottom of the sections or by clicking the little pen icon in the top right corner of certain sections.
- Status: use the drop down arrow to set whether the seafarer is active, retired, an applicant, unavailable etc. You can also add the seafarer to a Seafarer Pool.
- Employment: rank, vessel name, sign on and off dates, client and status of the seafarer's application (i.e. interview or negotiation.) You can also add a seafarer to an assignment. More on that later.
- Work Experience: current and previous work experience including rank, dates of employment, vessel name, vessel specs, and the management and agent companies.
- Education: school, country of education, field of study, certification and dates.
- Personal Info: the seafarer's name, email, date and place of birth, gender, marital status, rank, job status (i.e. actively looking), and local airport.
- Address: the seafarer's address(es).
- Special Skills: add notes with any special skills the seafarer might have.
- Physical Specifications: height, weight, shoe and clothing sizes, blood type, and hair and eye color.
- Emergency Contact: emergency contact and next of kin details.
- Preferences: the seafarer's availability date and preferences for vessel type, DWT, engine type, salary and contract length.
- Language: languages the candidate speaks.
- Social Media: the seafarer's social media accounts, if any.
- Bank Account: details of the seafarer’s bank account(s).
- Medicals: medical certificate details including the type of examination, country of issue and dates. You can upload copies of the certificates here.
- Visas: details of visas held by the seafarer. You can upload copies of the visas here.
- English Test: if the seafarer has taken Martide’s English Test you can save the results and upload them here.
- Licenses: type of licenses, document number, country of issues and dates. You can upload copies here.
- Flag State: Flag State Endorsement and Seaman Book details. You can upload copies here.
- Travel: passport and Seaman Book details. You can upload copies here.
- Certificates: type of certificate, country of issue, dates, and document number. You can upload copies here.
- Endorsements: type of endorsement, country of issue, dates, and document number. You can upload copies here.
- Training: type of training, country, dates, and document number. You can upload copies here.
- Notes: make notes for yourself and anyone else you've given access to.
- Payslips: upload payslips along with the vessel name, rank and dates of employment.
- Appraisals: appraisal dates and any uploaded attachments.
How to add a note about a seafarer
At the top of the seafarer's profile page you will see two tabs: Profile and Notes:
Click on Notes and it will take you to a page that looks like this:
We haven't added any notes yet so the page says No result found.
Here you can:
- Add a new note or notes.
- Filter your notes by Type, Date and Vessel by clicking the white boxes above the seafarer's name and profile picture.
- Download the page as an Excel file or a PDF by clicking the arrow icon in the top right corner.
- Send the seafarer a message by clicking the Send message button - this will open your Martide inbox in a new browser.
We want to add a note about this seafarer. Click the +Add note button on the top right. That will open this pop-up box:
Here you can:
- Select the Type of note from the drop down menu. (You can set your own Types under Settings > Notes - see our guide here.)
- Select the Vessel from the drop down menu.
- Add the date of the note.
- Type the note into the text box.
- Upload or drag and drop an attachment from your computer. You can add more than one attachment.
When you're finished click Save and your note will appear on the seafarer's profile page under the Notes tab:
How to add a seafarer to an assignment
There are two ways of adding a seafarer to an assignment (a vacancy):
- Click the blue +Add to assignment button at the top of their seafarer profile page (image 1) or
- Click the text +Add to assignment at the bottom of the Employment section in their profile (image 2.)
Both methods will take you to this pop-up box:
Here you can:
- Use the two drop down boxes at the top to find the rank and vessel you are adding the seafarer to.
- Click the little circle next to the vessel and rank you want to apply the seafarer to, then click the Add to assignment button and the candidate will be applied to that vacancy.
How to filter and search for seafarers
To filter your search, go back to the main Seafarers page and click on one or more of the filters at the top of the page:
You can filter seafarers by: General, Location, Personal Data, Work History, Language, Medical, Identification, Documents and Status.
When you click on a filter it will bring up a pop-up box. For example, this is what you will see if you select the Work History filter:
Now you can filter the results by which vessel a seafarer has served on, the dates served and the type of ship.
The filters let you search by:
- General: name, email, seafarer pool, rank, manning agent, availability dates.
- Location: onboard, ashore.
- Personal data: home country, date of birth, home airport.
- Work history: vessel served on, start and end dates, vessel type.
- Language: main language spoken.
- Medical: medical test type, valid until date.
- Identification: nationality.
- Documents: document type, issuing country, document number, valid until date.
- Status: active, unavailable, NFR (not for rehire), retired, left.
To hide the filters click on the blue Filters button at the top right of the page:
If you click on this the filter boxes will disappear:
To bring them back, simply click on the Filters button again.
You can also filter using the ‘pyramid’ icon next to Name, Rank, Availability and Status however this will only change the order in which they are listed alphabetically. For example the default setting is to list from A through Z. If you click on the icon, it will reverse that so they are listed Z through A.
We hope you've found this guide to the seafarers page helpful but if you need any other help please don't hesitate to get in touch with us here.