2020 is finally behind us and for many of us that means a chance to look to the future and hope that 2021 is a more positive year all round.
Plenty has been written about why last year was so awful in so many ways, including by Martide, so our aim is not to retread old ground here.
Rather, we thought that we’d take a few minutes to take a look back at all of the blog posts we wrote for our employers blog and see which ones were most popular.
We wrote a similar post at the end of 2019 too over on our seafarers blog, so if you’re looking for something else to read (when you’ve finished this post...) and you haven’t quite got your fill of maritime recruitment and crew management systems, why not go and take a look!
Meanwhile, let’s dig deep into the data and see which of Martide’s employer blog posts had the most eyeballs on them in 2020!
Martide’s top employer blog posts of 2020
10. Will Autonomous Ships Signal the End of Seafarer Jobs? This post was written way back in August 2019 but still managed to be our tenth most read blog post of 2020. Maybe that’s because, as we move forward, self-driving vehicles, including ships, are getting more press than ever before.
What’s your opinion on this rather contentious subject?
9. 10 of Martide’s Favorite Seaman Quotes About Sailing. Our listicle blog posts about seaman quotes always prove popular so we’re not surprised that this one made the list of our ten most read blog posts in 2020. After all - who doesn’t love a good list!?
(And for more seaman quotes, why not check out these blog posts too: 10 of Martide’s Favorite Seafarer Quotes About Ships and 10 of Martide’s Best Seaman Quotes About the Ocean.)
8. How RFID is Changing the Maritime Industry. From lighthearted lists of seaman quotes to an exploration of disruptive tech in one swift move! In eighth place is this blog post exploring the use of future technologies such as RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) in the maritime industry.
7. 5 Digital Marketing Strategies for the Maritime Industry in 2020. On a completely different subject now, our seventh most read blog of 2020 was this look at digital marketing for shipping companies.
This post was originally published at the start of 2019 and updated at the end of that year to update it for 2020. We guess it’s time to revisit it and make sure it’s up to date for 2021 now...one more for the to-do list!
6. How to Solve Maritime Recruitment Challenges to Fill Your Seafarer Jobs. Maritime recruitment - and its associated challenges: something many shipowners, ship managers, crew operators and crew managers are all too familiar with.
If you’re struggling to overcome the hurdles you face when it comes to filling your vacancies, take a look back at this post and see if it has any of the answers you’re looking for.
5. 12 of Martide’s Favorite Seaman Quotes. We told you our blog posts about seaman quotes and inspirational quotes for seafarers were popular and here’s even more proof! Taking the mid-way number five spot in our top ten list of the year is another collection of maritime quotes.
4. Top Tips for Developing a Talent Strategy in Maritime Recruitment. Our fourth most read blog post of last year delved into why shipowners and managers need to develop a talent strategy to keep their search for top candidates from growing old and stagnant.
If you feel like your maritime recruitment drive could use a boost in 2021, this might just be the blog post you’re looking for!
3. Seafarer Training and the Rise of Virtual, Augmented and Mixed Reality. We’re in the top three now and taking the bronze for Martide’s third most read employer blog post of 2020 is this post about the use of VR, AR and MR in training for seafarers.
It’s an interesting subject and one that is only set to become even more fascinating as the shape of our realities shift even further.
2. How to Encourage More Women to Apply for Maritime Jobs. That there is a disparity in the number of men and women who pursue careers in the maritime industry isn’t news to anyone. However, that really needs to change.
But in what ways can more women be encouraged to embark on a life at sea? This blog post took a look at some of them - and it must have struck a chord with a number of readers out there as it was our second most read blog post of 2020.
1. Don’t Go! 6 Employee and Crew Retention Ideas for the Maritime Industry. Employee and crew retention is a thorn in the side of many small to medium sized shipowners and managers, as well as crew operators and manning agents.
But what steps can you take to ensure that the seafarers you love working with the most consistently return to your shipping company, contract after contract?
The fact that this was our most read blog post last year suggests that crew retention is an ongoing issue and we hope that this entry in the list - as well as some of our other posts about boosting crew retention rates - can help solve any challenges with retaining seafarers that you may have.
So there you have it, Martide’s very own top ten end of year list. It’s always interesting for us to see which of our blog posts get the most readers as it helps us know what it is you are interested in and it enables us to write more articles that we hope you will find similarly useful or entertaining.
And with that in mind if you have any topics you’d like to see us cover in future blog posts, why not drop us a comment in the box below this post and let us know.
All ideas are gratefully received and will be considered!
Meanwhile all that’s left for us to do now is to thank all of our readers for checking in with our blog posts and to wish you all a happy, prosperous and safe 2021!