10 of Martide's Favorite Seamen Quotes About Sailing
Oct 20, 2020 · 7 mins read ·Fun Stuff
Here at Martide sometimes we like nothing better than taking a short break from our usual blog posts about maritime recruitment, industry news, Martide solutions and support, and technology in the maritime industry to write something a little more light hearted - such as lists of seamen quotes!
Let’s face it, who doesn’t enjoy reading lists of things - especially when they’re related to seafarers, ships, the ocean, maritime and all other things nautical?
You might have already read a couple of our other blog posts of quotes about seafarers but if not, you can check them out here:
10 Seaman Quotes About the Ocean
10 of Martide's Favorite Seafarer Quotes About the Sea
10 of Martide's Favorite Seafarer Quotes
10 of Martide's Favorite Seafarer Quotes About Ships
10 of Martide's Top Seafarer Quotes About Storms at Sea
10 of Martide's Favorite Quotes About Rowing
10 Motivational Quotes About Storms
21 Maritime Quotes About Diving
Well, if you’re looking for more mariners quotes, you’ve come to the right blog, because here we’ve got another 10 quotes about seafarers and sailing for you! We’ve also shared a few interesting facts about the people that said them too.
Read more: 10 Inspirational Quotes for Seamen About Storms
10 of Martide’s favorite seamen quotes about sailing
- “To young men contemplating a voyage I’d say go.” - Joshua Slocum, British-born and naturalized American seaman, writer and adventurer who was the first person to sail single-handedly around the world.
- Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the wind in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain, American writer - author of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (among others.)
3. He that will not sail till all dangers are over must never put to sea.” - Thomas Fuller, English churchman, writer and historian who was educated at the University of Cambridge.
Read more: 10 of Martide's Best Seaman Quotes About the Ocean
4. “Thought is the wind, knowledge the sail, and mankind the vessel.” - Augustus Hare, English writer, painter and raconteur who was born in Rome, Italy to English parents.
5. “The sooner we learn to be jointly responsible, the easier the sailing will be.” - Ella Maillart, Swiss adventurer, sportswoman, travel writer and photographer born in Geneva in 1903 to a Swiss father and a Danish mother.
6. “The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.” - William Arthur Ward, American writer of poems and articles that were published in magazines such as Reader’s Digest.
Read more: 13 of Martide's Favorite Seafarer Quotes About Anchors
7. “Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.” - Publilius Syrus, Latin writer who was of Syrian birth and taken to Italy in Roman times as a slave.
8. “A bad day sailing is 100 times better than a good day at work.” - Anonymous
9. “To reach a port we must set sail – Sail, not tie at anchor Sail, not drift.” - Franklin D. Roosevelt, American politician who was born in New York state in 1882 and who served as the 32nd president of the United States from 1933 until his death in 1945.
Read more: 12 of Martide’s Favorite Seamen Quotes
10. “If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable.” - Lucius Annaeus Seneca, Hispano-Roman Stoic philosopher, statesman, and dramatist who was also known as Seneca the Younger.
We hope you’ve enjoyed reading these seamen quotes about sailing. Do you have a favorite quote that we’ve missed that you think we should have included? Why not let us know your must-read quotes about sailing and seafarer quotes in the comments at the foot of the page?
How can Martide help your small to mid-size shipping company?
Are you a shipowner or ship manager who is looking for a better way to manage your maritime recruitment and crew management operations?
Read more: 10 Seaman Quotes About Compasses
If so, Martide can help. We’ve designed and built an all-encompassing software solution for small to mid sized shipping companies that helps them streamline their processes.
With Martide’s secure and scalable Software as a Service you’ll be able to manage your seafarer sourcing, maritime recruitment, wage scales, minimum safe manning numbers, and much more all from one centralized place.
It couldn’t be any easier, and best of all Martide’s platform works with other crew management systems and Human Resources and recruitment platforms.
Read more: 12 Intriguing Seafarer Quotes About Storms
We also offer a private API for custom integration for ABS Nautical Systems Enterprise, Cloud Fleet Manager and C Teleport. And of course, there’s our round the clock customer support too!
If you’d like to find out more about how we can help YOUR shipping company become more efficient, cost effective and productive, get in touch with us today. We’ll be very happy to tell you more!