30 Funny Seafarer Quotes About Boats, Sailors & the Sea
Jul 18, 2023 · 8 mins read ·Fun Stuff
Welcome to the Martide blog where we love a good seafarer quote! In the past, we’ve covered everything from quotes about compasses, quotes about anchors, quotes about storms, and inspirational quotes for seamen to name just a few. Some of these quotes are motivational, some are intriguing, but we’ve never created a list of funny quotes for seafarers - until now!
We usually go into quite a bit of depth about the authors of our favorite seafarer quotes, but as this is a list of funny quotes about the ocean, boats, sailors and sailing, we thought we’d just give the quotes to you straight!
Plus, a lot of the authors of these seaman quotes are unknown, so there’s not much we can tell you about them!
So without further ado, let’s take a look at 30 funny seafarer quotes about boats, ships, sailors, the ocean, sailing and all other things nautical!
30 Funny seafarer quotes about boats, sailors and the sea
- "A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money." - Kin Hubbard
- “The only thing that is constant about sailing is change." - Unknown
- "An anchor is a heavy object that keeps a boat from floating away. It's also a great way to make a boat look like it's sinking." - Unknown
- "A boat is like a pet. It's expensive, it's a lot of work, and it's always shedding." - Unknown
- “Out of sight of land, the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.” ― Charles Davis
6. “Sailing is like chess - you have to stay one step ahead of the waves." - Unknown
7. "A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, with a hole in the middle to sit in." - Groucho Marx
8. “The sea is a cruel mistress, but a good laugh is the ultimate life preserver." - Unknown
9. "I'm not sure what's worse, being stranded at sea or being stranded with an anchor." - Unknown
10. "A boat is a floating home that doesn't have a driveway." - Jimmy Buffett
Read more: 12 of Martide's Favorite Seamen Quotes
11. “When the going gets tough, the tough get a compass and a quip." - Unknown
12. “If you're not sure which direction to go, just follow the seagulls - they always know where the party's at." - Unknown
13. "A boat is like a marriage. It requires commitment and effort to keep it afloat." - Unknown
14. “The sea may be unpredictable, but a good sense of humor is always on course." - Unknown
15. “Only two sailors, in my experience, never ran aground. One never left port, and the other was an atrocious liar.” - Don Bamford
16. “A boat is the only place where you can wake up in the morning and say, 'Where am I?' and it's not a crime." - Unknown
17. “Navigating the seas is all about finding your sea legs and your funny bone." - Unknown
18. “It is not that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better.” - Sir Francis Drake
19. "A boat is the only place where you can be alone with a crowd." - Unknown
20. “The best way to avoid a mutiny? Keep your crew laughing." - Unknown
21. "A boat is the only place where you can get a tan and a sunburn at the same time." - Unknown
22. “Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be Pirates” - Mark Twain
23. "I love the sea, but I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." - Anakin Skywalker
24. "A ship is always referred to as 'she' because it costs so much to keep one in paint and powder." - Kin Hubbard
25. “Work like a captain and play like a pirate.” - Unknown
26. "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.” - Sir Francis Chichester
27. “A rough day at sea is still better than any day in the office.” ― Anonymous
28. “You there, are you a sailor?”... “Ja’ think I’m a cowboy?” - Popeye
29. "There is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” - Kenneth Grahame
30. “It’s scary to have a 30 foot wave chasing you. If you are steering, you don’t look back. The crew looks back for you, and you watch their faces. When they look straight up, then get ready!” - Magnus Olsson
So there we have it: 30 mildly amusing or funny quotes for seafarers about boats, ships, the sea and sailing. Did any of them amuse you? Or do you know more funny quotes about sailors and sailing?
Meanwhile, if you’re looking for more seaman quotes, check out the posts that we’ve linked to above or take a look at some of our other posts with quotes about diving, quotes about sailing, motivational quotes about storms at sea and even inspiring seaman quotes in Tagalog.
That’s all the funny seamen quotes we have to share with you today but stay tuned because there will probably be plenty more coming soon in a future blog post!
Read the previous post in this series: 12 Intriguing Seafarer Quotes About Storms
Eve is Martide's content writer and publishes regular posts on everything from our maritime recruitment and crew planning software to life at sea.