When you log into your Martide account you’ll see there's 2 options in the menu: Candidates and Seafarers. What’s the difference?
- Candidates are people whose profiles were created by your company or a manning agent, OR who have applied for one of your jobs, OR who have been applied to one of your jobs by a manning agent.
- Seafarers are people who have previously worked for you - i.e. ex-crew.
To understand your Candidates page, click here.
Note that for a person to be moved to the Seafarers page, you need to add them to a position on the Candidates page and hire them. They will then move from Candidate to Seafarer.
Understanding the Seafarers Page
To get started, log into your Martide account and click on Seafarers in the menu at the side. You’ll go to this page:
Here you can:
- View your list of Active seafarers. (The default view shows only Active seafarers.)
- Add a new seafarer by clicking the Add Seafarer button at the top.
- Check and/or edit a seafarer’s information by clicking their name.
- Filter seafarers by General, Assessments, Documents, Employment & Work History, Location, Medical, Personal, Planning, Status or Visa by clicking the funnel icon at the top of the page.
- View seafarers' profiles in detail by clicking the 2 arrows at the top.
- Download seafarer profiles, employment history, work experience and documents by clicking the 3 dots at the top.
How to add a new seafarer
To add a new seafarer to the database, click the Add Seafarer button at the top of the page:
That will open this pop-up box:
Here you can:
- Enter the seafarer's email address.
- Select the manning agent from the drop down box.
- Enter the seafarer's date of birth.
- Enter the seafarer's first and last names.
Click the Add seafarer button when you've finished and you will be taken to the seafarer's profile page where you can fill in the rest of their information. The seafarer will appear on your main Seafarers page.
How to check and/or edit a seafarer
There are 2 ways of looking at a seafarer's information. You can see an overview of all seafarers easily on the Seafarer's page or you can go to their profile.
How to view all candidates in detail
Click the 2 arrows at the top of the page. That will change the view to this:
Here you can:
- See the seafarer's name, age, nationality, rank, email, phone number, if they are ex-crew and status (i.e. Active).
- Click on the headers to see an overview of their personal details, employment, work experience and documents.
- Click the 3 dots to add them to an Assignment (crew managers only), download their photo, download their contracts, use the Document Assembly feature, send them a message, or edit their info. If you click edit, it will take you to their profile page.
The other way of viewing and editing a candidate is to click on their name when the screen is in list format or on their name in the overview. You will go to their profile page:
The profile is long so to make it easier to find the information you need, click on any of the headers in the menu on the left hand side under Seafarers and you will go to that section:
There are sections for the seafarer's: Overview, Statuses, Work Summary, Employment, Work Experience, Education, Contacts, Special Skills, Physical Specifications, Emergency Contacts, Next of Kin, Preferences, Language, Bank Accounts, Medical Exams, Vaccinations, Visas, Assessments, Certificates, Training, Licenses, Travel, Endorsements, Custom Documents, Employment Contracts, Payslips and Appraisals.
We will look at each section in a moment.
Also on this page you can:
- See the seafarer's photo, name, rank, nationality, email and phone number at the top.
- See an overview of the seafarer's personal details, last employment, expectations and any notes that have been made about them.
- Add the seafarer to an assignment (vacancy) by clicking the Add to assignment button.
- Download the seafarer's profile photo and contracts as an Excel spreadsheet or add them to one of your Assembly templates by clicking the Download icon button.
- Send the seafarer a message by clicking the Send message button.
- Edit and add information to the seafarer's profile.
- View or make notes about the seafarer by clicking the Notes button or the View All link under Notes.
- View the candidate's forms by clicking the Forms button.
Why can't I find a seafarer whose profile is in the system?
First, check both the Candidates and Seafarers pages. Second, remove the default status filter which is set to Active on the Seafarers page. If you still cannot find the seafarer, contact Martide support.
Sections in a seafarer's profile
Sections can be viewed, added to and edited either by clicking the Add text at the bottom of the sections or by clicking the pen icon in the top right corner of certain sections.
- Statuses: Master Status - the main status for the candidate in relation to you, the employer. Client Status: if you have clients and the candidate is applied to one of their jobs the client will show here. It will show if the candidate is ex-crew. You can also see the manning agent, who created the profile and you can add the candidate to a Seafarer Pool. See below for more info about Master and Client Statuses.
- Work Summary: An overview of the seafarer's ranks, time in rank, vessel types, time on vessel type, engine types, time worked with that engine, operator (DOC), trading areas, nationalities sailed with and maximum crew complement sailed with.
- Employment: date of hire, date of termination, rank, vessel name, estimated left and arrived home dates, actual sign on and actual sign off dates, client, manning agent, type of employment (Assignment or Manual) and status of the seafarer's application (i.e. interview or negotiation.) You can also add a seafarer to an assignment and add manual employment. More on those later.
- Work Experience: current and previous work experience including rank, dates of employment, vessel name, vessel specs, and the management and agent companies. You can also add a position and a CV.
- Education: school, country of education, field of study, certification and dates.
- Contacts: the seafarers address(es), phone numbers and social media accounts.
- Special Skills: add any standout skills the seafarer has.
- Physical Specifications: height, weight, shoe and clothing sizes, blood type, and hair and eye color.
- Emergency Contacts: emergency contact details.
- Next of Kin: next of kin details.
- Preferences: the seafarer's availability date and preferences for vessel type, DWT, engine type, salary and contract length.
- Languages: languages the candidate speaks.
- Bank Account: details of the seafarer’s bank account(s).
- Medical Examinations: medical certificate details including the type of examination, country of issue and dates, and related Assignments. You can upload copies of the certificates here.
- Vaccinations: details of any vaccinations including type, document number, brand, country and dates of issue and expiry. You can upload copies of the certificates here.
- Visas: details of visas held by the seafarer. You can upload copies of the visas here.
- Assessments: type of assessment (i.e. an English test), test score, status (i.e. passed or failed) and related Assignments. You can also link to the relevant embarkation and upload a copy of the assessment.
- Certificates: type of certificate, country of issue, dates, and document number. You can upload copies here.
- Training: type of training, country, dates, and document number. You can upload copies here.
- Licenses: type of licenses, document number, country of issues and dates. You can upload copies here.
- Travel: passport and Seaman Book details. You can upload copies here.
- Endorsement: type of endorsement, country of issue, dates, and document numbers. You can upload copies here.
- Custom Documents: type of document, number, country of issue and dates. You can upload copies here.
- Employment Contracts: contracts the seafarer has completed including vessel, rank, dates and salary. You can add a contract, an extension to the contract and an addendum here.
- Payslips: upload payslips along with the vessel name, rank, dates of employment and related Assignments.
- Appraisals: document type, dates and related Assignments. You can also link to the relevant embarkation and upload a copy of the appraisal.
A note about Master Status and Client Status
In the Status section at the top of a seafarer's profile you will see Master Status and Client Status.
Master Status: relates to the candidate or seafarer's relationship with their crew manager. Candidates can be Applicant or Rejected. Seafarers can be Active, Medical (on leave), Unavailable, Left, Retired or NFR (not for rehire). You can set the status using the drop down arrow.
Client Status: if you have clients who you hire crew for, if this seafarer has been applied to one of their vacancies, the client name will appear here. You can also use the drop down arrow to set the seafarer's status Active, Applicant, NFR etc.
Example: You hired the seafarer for Client B's vessel but they do not want to rehire them so set the Client Status to NFR. But if they did like the seafarer, set the Client Status to Active.
BUT if the seafarer did something wrong and you do not want to apply/hire them again, change the Master Status to NFR and that will automatically set all Client Statuses to the same. You can also add a reason why you are setting that seafarer to NFR. Read how to do that here.
How to add a note about a seafarer
When you're on the seafarer's profile page you will see a button saying View Notes as well as a link to View All under the Notes in the overview:
Click on either of those and you will go to a page that looks like this:
You can see from our example that there are two notes about this candidate.
Here you can:
- See all notes and the type of note that have been made about this candidate.
- Add a new note or notes by clicking the Add note button.
- Filter your notes by Type and Date by clicking the blue boxes above the seafarer's name and profile picture.
- Download the page as an Excel file or a Word Document by clicking the arrow icon at the top.
- Send the seafarer a message by clicking the Send message button - this will open your Martide inbox in a new browser.
We want to add a note about this seafarer. Click the Add note button on the top right. That will open this pop-up box:
Here you can:
- Select the Type of note from the drop down menu. (You can set your own Types under Settings > Notes - see our guide here.)
- Type the note into the text box.
- Upload or drag and drop an attachment from your computer. You can add more than one attachment.
When you're finished click Save and your note will appear on the candidate's profile page when you're in the Notes tab as well as on the profile overview as the last note made:
How to view a candidate's forms
Click on the Forms button at the top of the candidate's profile:
That will take you to this page:
Here you can:
- View the details of Forms that have been sent to the candidate as they progress through the recruitment pipeline. Information includes the vessel name, their rank, the crew change date, the pipeline stage, the date that stage was approved and by whom.
How to add a seafarer to an assignment
If you are a crew manager, there are 3 ways of adding a seafarer to an assignment (a vacancy):
- Click the Add to assignment button at the top of their seafarer profile page (image 1) or
- Click the text Add to assignment at the bottom of the Employment section in their profile (image 2.)
- Click the 3 vertical dots in their overview on the Candidates page and click Add to assignment in the drop down menu (image 3)
All methods will take you to this pop-up box:
Here you can:
- Use the two drop down boxes at the top to find the rank and vessel you want to add the seafarer to.
- Click the circle next to the vessel and rank you want to apply the seafarer to, then click the Add to assignment button and the candidate will be applied to that vacancy.
How to create a manual contract & add an extension
Note: this feature is for crew managers only.
Click the text Add manual employment at the bottom of the Employment section in the seafarer's profile:
That will open this pop-up box:
Here you can:
- Select the Rank, Vessel, Crew Slot and Manning Agency from the drop down menus.
- Enter the Actual and Estimated Left Home and Arrived Home dates.
- Enter the Actual and Estimated Sign On and Sign Off dates.
- Select the Contract Termination Reason from the drop down menu.
- Click Save changes when you're done.
The manual employment will then appear in the Employment section:
You can also extend a manual contract.
How to extend a manual contract
First you need to add manual employment as seen above. Then go to the Employment Contracts section further down the page:
Click on Add contract to fill in the details of the manual employment you created earlier. The vessel and embarkation/disembarkation dates will be filled in already:
Fill in the details and upload the contract then click Save. The contract will appear on the main page and you can then click Add extension.
Click Add extension and you will see this pop-up box:
Fill in the details and upload the amended contract. Click Save and the extension will appear on the main screen:
How to filter and search for seafarers
To filter your search, on the main Seafarers page click the funnel icon at the top:
You can filter candidates by: General, Assessments, Documents, Employment & Work History, Medical, Personal, Planning, Status and Visas.
When you click the funnel icon it opens up a side panel with all of the above filters. Click the down arrow next to each filter to search by various information:
The filters let you search by:
- General: name, email, seafarer pool, rank, manning agent, availability dates, pseudo ID, Martide ID and ex-crew.
- Assessments: assessment type.
- Documents: document type, issuing country, ECDIS type, document number, valid through date and no document uploaded.
- Employment & Work History: actual sign on and off dates, estimated arrived home dates, vessel worked on, vessel type, engine type, rank, trading areas, nationalities sailed with and maximum crew complement sailed with.
- Medical: medical test type and valid until date.
- Personal: home country, home airport, date of birth, age, salary expectations, language, nationality, gender, phone number, birth province, birth country, race and religion.
- Planning: planned between dates, not planned between dates and planned status.
- Status: master status (applicant or rejected.)
- Visa: country
Tip: If you have several searches that you use a lot (e.g. by vessel, by rank, or any other combination) you can set your search parameters and save the results page in your browser's bookmarks. When you open the bookmark, you will get the search results for the filter you saved.
How to download seafarer information
There are 3 ways to download information:
- Click the 3 dots at the top of the Seafarers page (image 1.)
- Click the 3 dots at the top of a seafarer's overview (image 2.)
- Click the 3 dots at the top of a seafarer's profile page (image 3.)
You can also see which data you have downloaded by clicking on the gray download icon on the right when you're on the main Seafarers page in either list or overview view:
We hope you've found this guide to the seafarers page helpful but if you need any other help please don't hesitate to get in touch with us here.