When you log into your Martide account you’ll see there's 2 options in the menu: Candidates and Seafarers. What’s the difference?
- Candidates are people whose profiles were created by your company or a manning agent, OR who have applied for one of your jobs, OR who have been applied to one of your jobs by a manning agent.
- Seafarers are people who have previously worked for you - i.e. ex-crew.
To understand your Candidates page, click here. Please note that for a person to be moved to the Seafarers page, you need to add them to a position on the Candidates page and hire them. They will then move from Candidate to Seafarer.
Understanding the Seafarers Page
To get started, log into your Martide account and click on Seafarers in the menu at the side. You’ll go to a page like this:
Here you can:
- View your list of Active seafarers. (The default view shows only Active seafarers.)
- Add a new seafarer by clicking the blue +Add Seafarer box at the top.
- Check and/or edit a seafarer’s information by clicking on their name.
- Filter seafarers by General, Location, Personal, Employment & Work History, Medical, Documents, Visa, Status or Planning clicking the boxes at the top.
- View seafarers' profiles in detail by clicking the 2 arrows at the top.
- Download seafarer profiles, employment history, work experience and documents by clicking the 3 vertical dots at the top.
How to add a new seafarer
To add a new seafarer to the database, click the blue +Add Seafarer box at the top of the page:
That will open this pop-up box:
Here you can:
- Enter the seafarer's email address.
- Select the manning agent from the drop down box.
- Enter the seafarer's date of birth.
- Enter the seafarer's first and last names.
Click the blue Add seafarer button when you're finished and you will be taken to the seafarer's profile page where you can fill in the rest of their information. The seafarer will appear on your main Seafarers page.
How to check and/or edit a seafarer
There are 2 ways of looking at a seafarer's information. You can see an overview of all seafarers easily on the Seafarer's page or you can go to their profile.
How to view all candidates in detail
Click the 2 arrows at the top of the page. That will change the view to this:
Here you can:
- See the seafarer's name, age, nationality, rank, email, phone number, if they are ex-crew and status (i.e. Active).
- Click on the headers to see an overview of their personal details, employment, work experience and documents.
- Click the 3 vertical dots to add them to an Assignment, download their photo, download their contracts, use the Document Assembly feature, send them a message, or edit their info. If you click edit, it will take you to their profile page.
The other way of viewing and editing a candidate is to click on their name when the screen is in list format. You will go to their profile page:
You'll notice at the top there are two tabs: Profile and Notes. We'll explain Notes shortly but for now we're looking at the Profile tab.
The profile is long so to make it easier to find the information you need, click on any of the headers at the top under the seafarer's profile picture and basic info and you will go to that section.
There are sections for the seafarer's: Status, Work Summary, Employment, Work Experience, Education, Personal Info, Address, Skills, Physical Specifications, Emergency Contacts, Preferences, Language, Social Media, Bank Account, Medical Documents, Visas, English Test, Licenses, Travel Documents, Certificates, Endorsements/Flag State, Training, Employment Contracts, Payslips and Appraisals.
We will look at each section in a moment.
Also on this page you can:
- See the seafarer's photo, name, rank, nationality, gender, and email at the top.
- Add the seafarer to an assignment (vacancy) by clicking the Add to assignment button.
- Download the seafarer's employment history, work experience, documents and contracts as an Excel spreadsheet or add them to one of your Assembly templates by clicking the Download icon button.
- Send the seafarer a message by clicking the Send message button.
- Edit and add information to the seafarer's profile.
- Switch to the Notes view to see any saved info about the seafarer.
Why can't I find a seafarer whose profile is in the system?
Firstly, check both the Candidates and Seafarers pages. Secondly, remove the default status filter which is set to Active on the Seafarers page. If you still cannot find the seafarer, contact support.
Sections in a seafarer's profile
Sections can be viewed, added to and edited either by clicking the + Add text at the bottom of the sections or by clicking the little pen icon in the top right corner of certain sections.
- Status: use the drop down arrow to set whether the seafarer is active, retired, an applicant, unavailable etc. You can also add the seafarer to a Seafarer Pool and see if they are ex-crew.
- Work Summary: An overview of the seafarer's ranks, time in rank, vessel types, time on vessel type, engines and time worked with that engine.
- Employment: date of hire, date of termination, rank, vessel name, estimated left and arrived home dates, actual sign on and actual sign off dates, client, type of employment (Assignment or Manual) and status of the seafarer's application (i.e. interview or negotiation.) You can also add a seafarer to an assignment and add manual employment. More on those later.
- Work Experience: current and previous work experience including rank, dates of employment, vessel name, vessel specs, and the management and agent companies.
- Education: school, country of education, field of study, certification and dates.
- Personal Info: the seafarer's name, email, date and place of birth, gender, marital status, rank, job status (i.e. actively looking), and local airport.
- Address: the seafarer's address(es).
- Special Skills: add notes with any special skills the seafarer might have.
- Physical Specifications: height, weight, shoe and clothing sizes, blood type, and hair and eye color.
- Emergency Contact: emergency contact and next of kin details.
- Preferences: the seafarer's availability date and preferences for vessel type, DWT, engine type, salary and contract length.
- Language: languages the candidate speaks.
- Social Media: the seafarer's social media accounts, if any.
- Bank Account: details of the seafarer’s bank account(s).
- Medicals: medical certificate details including the type of examination, country of issue and dates. You can upload copies of the certificates here.
- Visas: details of visas held by the seafarer. You can upload copies of the visas here.
- English Test: if the seafarer has taken an English Test you can save the results and upload them here.
- Licenses: type of licenses, document number, country of issues and dates. You can upload copies here.
- Travel: passport and Seaman Book details. You can upload copies here.
- Certificates: type of certificate, country of issue, dates, and document number. You can upload copies here.
- Endorsement & Flag State: type of endorsement, country of issue, dates, and document numbers. You can upload copies here.
- Training: type of training, country, dates, and document number. You can upload copies here.
- Employment Contracts: contracts the seafarer has completed.
- Payslips: upload payslips along with the vessel name, rank and dates of employment.
- Appraisals: appraisal dates and any uploaded attachments.
A note about Master Status and Client Status
In the Status section at the top of a seafarer's profile you will see Master Status and Client Status.
Master Status: relates to the candidate or seafarer's relationship with you as an employer. Candidates can be Applicant or Rejected. Seafarers can be Active, Medical (on leave), Unavailable, Left, Retired or NFR (not for rehire). You can set the status using the drop down arrow.
Client Status: if you have clients who you hire crew for, if this seafarer has been applied to one of their vacancies, the client name will appear here. You can also use the drop down arrow to set the seafarer's status Active, Applicant, NFR etc.
Example: You hired the seafarer for Client B's vessel but they do not want to rehire them so set the Client Status to NFR. But if they did like the seafarer, set the Client Status to Active.
BUT if the seafarer did something wrong and you do not want to apply/hire them again, change the Master Status to NFR and that will automatically set all Client Statuses to the same. You can also add a reason why you are setting that seafarer to NFR. Read how to do that here.
How to add a note about a seafarer
At the top of the seafarer's profile page you will see two tabs: Profile and Notes:
Click on Notes and it will take you to a page that looks like this:
We haven't added any notes yet.
Here you can:
- Add a new note or notes by clicking the blue +Add note button.
- Filter your notes by Type and Date by clicking the white boxes above the seafarer's name and profile picture.
- Download the page as an Excel file or a Word Document by clicking the arrow icon at the top.
- Send the seafarer a message by clicking the Send message button - this will open your Martide inbox in a new browser.
We want to add a note about this seafarer. Click the +Add note button on the top right. That will open this pop-up box:
Here you can:
- Select the Type of note from the drop down menu. (You can set your own Types under Settings > Notes - see our guide here.)
- Type the note into the text box.
- Upload or drag and drop an attachment from your computer. You can add more than one attachment.
When you're finished click Save and your note will appear on the seafarer's profile page under the Notes tab:
How to add a seafarer to an assignment
There are two ways of adding a seafarer to an assignment (a vacancy):
- Click the blue +Add to assignment button at the top of their seafarer profile page (image 1) or
- Click the text +Add to assignment at the bottom of the Employment section in their profile (image 2.)
Both methods will take you to this pop-up box:
Here you can:
- Use the two drop down boxes at the top to find the rank and vessel you want to add the seafarer to.
- Click the circle next to the vessel and rank you want to apply the seafarer to, then click the Add to assignment button and the candidate will be applied to that vacancy.
How to create a manual contract & add an extension
Click the text +Add manual employment at the bottom of the Employment section in the seafarer's profile:
That will open a pop-up box that looks like this:
Here you can:
- Select the Rank, Vessel and Crew Slot from the drop down menus.
- Enter the Actual Left Home and Actual Arrived Home dates.
- Enter the Actual Sign On and Actual Sign Off dates.
- Select the Contract Termination Reason from the drop down menu.
- Click Save changes when you're done.
The manual employment will then appear in the Employment section:
You can also extend a manual contract.
How to extend a manual contract
First you need to add manual employment as seen above. Then go to the Employment Contracts section further down the page:
Click on Add manual contract to fill in the details of the manual employment you created earlier. The vessel and embarkation/disembarkation dates will be filled in already:
Fill in the details and upload the contract then click Save. The contract will appear on the main page and you will see you have to option of extending the contract:
Click Add extension and you will see this pop-up box:
Fill in the details and upload the amended contract. Click Save and the extension will appear on the main screen:
How to filter and search for seafarers
To filter your search, on the main Seafarers page click the funnel icon at the top:
You can filter seafarers by: General, Location, Personal, Employment & Work History, Medical, Documents, Visas, Status and Planning.
When you click on the funnel icon it opens up a side panel with all of the above filters. Click the down arrow next to each filter to search by various information:
The filters let you search by:
- General: name, email, seafarer pool, rank, manning agent, rank, availability dates and ex-crew.
- Personal: home country, home airport, date of birth, age, salary minimum and maximum, language, nationality, gender and phone number.
- Employment & Work History: start and end dates, vessel served on, vessel type, engine type and rank.
- Medical: medical test type, valid until date.
- Documents: document type, issuing country, document number, valid until date and if no documents have been uploaded.
- Visa: country
- Status: applicant or rejected.
- Planning: start at date, end at date, planned between dates, not planned between dates and planned status.
Tip: If you have several searches that you use a lot (e.g. by vessel, by rank, or any other combination) you can set your search parameters and save the resultpage in your browser's bookmarks. When you open the bookmark, you will get the search results for the filter you saved.
How to download seafarer information
There are 3 ways to download information:
- Click the 3 vertical dots at the top of the Seafarers page (image 1.)
- Click the 3 vertical dots at the top of a seafarer's overview (image 2.)
- Click the download icon at the top of a seafarer's profile page (image 3.)
You can also see which data you have downloaded by clicking on the gray download icon on the right:
We hope you've found this guide to the seafarers page helpful but if you need any other help please don't hesitate to get in touch with us here.