When you first create your Martide account you won't have any information about your current crew in the system so you need to build your candidate database.
When you log in you will see there are 2 options in the menu on the left: Candidates and Seafarers. What’s the difference?
- Candidates are people who have applied for a job with you or who were created by your company/employees/co-workers.
- Seafarers are people who have previously worked for you - i.e. ex-crew.
To read more about the difference between Candidates and Seafarers click here.
Understanding your Candidates page
Log in to your Martide account and click on Candidates in the menu on the left. You will go to a page that looks like this:
Here you can:
- See an overview of each candidate including their photo and personal information. Click on the tabs at the top to see their Employment information, Work Experience and Documents.
- View the candidates in a list format by clicking the 2 arrows at the top of the page.
- Add a new candidate by clicking the Add Candidate button.
- Filter candidates by General, Personal, Employment & Work History, Medical, Documents, Visa, Status and Planning by clicking the funnel icon at the top.
- Download all candidate profiles, employment history, work experience and documents by clicking the 3 vertical dots at the top.
- Add a candidate to an Assignment, download their photo and/or contracts, use the Document Assembly feature, send them a message or edit their profile by clicking the 3 vertical dots at the top of their profile.
- View and edit a candidate’s profile by clicking on their name.
How to view and edit a candidate
There are 2 ways of looking at a candidate's information. You can see an overview of all candidates easily on the Candidate's page or you can go to their profile by clicking on their name.
Here you can:
- See the candidate's personal details, and an overview of their last employment, their expectations and the last note that was made about them.
- Click the 3 vertical dots to add them to an Assignment, download their photo, download their contracts, use the Document Assembly feature, send them a message, or edit their info.
- Add them to an Assignment.
- View all Notes about them.
The other way of viewing and editing a candidate is to click on their name when the screen is in list format. You will also go to their profile page:
The profile page is long so to make it easier to find the information you need, click on any of the headers in the side menu under Candidates and you will be automatically taken to that section:
There are sections for the candidate’s: Overview, Statuses, Work Summary, Employment, Work Experience, Education, Contacts, Special Skills, Physical Specifications, Emergency Contacts, Preferences, Language, Bank Accounts, Medical Exams, Visas, English Test, Certificates, Training, Licenses, Travel, Endorsements, Custom Documents, Employment Contracts, Payslips and Appraisals.
We will take a brief look at each section in a moment.
Also on this page you can:
- Add the candidate to an Assignment (vacancy) by clicking the Add to assignment button.
- View any notes made about the candidate.
- Download their photo and/or contracts or add them to one of your Assembly templates by clicking the 3 vertical dots.
- Send the candidate a message by clicking the 3 vertical dots
- Edit and add information in the candidate’s profile.
Sections in a candidate’s profile
Sections can be viewed, added to and edited either by clicking the 3 vertical dots, the + Add buttons at the bottom of the sections or by clicking the pen icon in the top right corner of sections.
- Status: Master Status - the main status for the candidate in relation to you, the employer. Client Status: if you have clients and the candidate is applied to one of their jobs the client will show here. It will show if the candidate is ex-crew. You can also see the manning agent, who created the profile and you can add the candidate to a Seafarer Pool. See below for more info about Master and Client Statuses.
- Work Summary: Work Summary: An overview of the candidate's ranks, time in rank, vessel types, time on vessel type, engines and time worked with that engine.
- Employment: date of hire, date of termination, rank, vessel name, estimated left home and estimated arrived home dates, actual sign on and off dates, client, type (Assignment or Manual Employment) and status of the candidate’s application (i.e. interview or negotiation.) You can also add a candidate to an Assignment or Manual Employment. Employment differs to Work Experience as it lists all the positions the candidate applied to, or was hired for, using Martide.
- Work Experience: current and previous work experience including rank, dates of employment, vessel name, vessel specs, and the management and agent companies.
- Education: school, field of study, degree, and dates.
- Contacts: addresses, phone numbers and social media accounts
- Special Skills: add notes with any special skills the candidate might have.
- Physical Specifications: height, weight, shoe and clothing sizes, blood type, and hair and eye color.
- Emergency Contacts: emergency contact details.
- Preferences: the candidate’s availability date and preferences for vessel type, DWT, engine type, salary and contract length.
- Language: languages the candidate speaks.
- Bank Account: details of the candidate’s bank account(s).
- Medicals: medical certificate details including the type of examination, country of issue and dates. You can upload copies of the certificates here.
- Visas: details of visas held by the candidate. You can upload copies of the visas here.
- English Test: if the candidate has taken Martide’s English Test you can save the results and upload them here.
- Certificates: type, number, country of issue, dates of issue and expiry. You can upload copies of the certificates here.
- Training: type of training, document number, country of issue, and dates. You can upload copies here
- Licenses: type of licenses, document number, country of issue and dates. You can upload copies here
- Travel: passport and Seaman Book details. You can upload copies here.
- Endorsements: type of endorsement, document number, country of issue and dates. You can upload copies here.
- Custom Documents: type of document, document number, country of issue and dates. You can upload copies here.
- Employment Contracts: see contracts they have completed. You can add a contract and also an extension here.
- Payslips: upload payslips along with the vessel name, rank and dates of employment.
- Appraisals: appraisal dates and any uploaded attachments.
A notes about Master Status and Client Status
In the Statuses section in a candidate's profile you will see Master Status and Client Status.
Master Status: relates to the candidate or seafarer's relationship with you as an employer. Candidates can be Applicant or Rejected. Seafarers can be Active, Unavailable, Left, Retired or NFR (not for rehire). You can set the status using the drop down arrow.
Client Status: if you have clients who you hire crew for, if this candidate has been applied to one of their vacancies, the client name will appear here. You can also use the drop down arrow to set the candidate's status.
Example: you applied the seafarer for Client B's job but they did not want to hire them, set the Client Status to Rejected. But if you applied the candidate for Client A's job and they do like the candidate, set the Client Status to Applicant.
How to add a note about a candidate
When you're on the candidate's profile page you will see a button saying View Notes as well as a link to View All under the Notes in the overview:
Click on either and it will take you to a page that looks like this:
You can see from our example that there is already one note about this candidate.
Here you can:
- Add a new note.
- Filter your notes by Type and Date by clicking the white boxes above the candidate's name and profile picture.
- Remove the filters by clicking the blue Filters button.
- Download the page as an Excel file or a Word Document by clicking the arrow icon.
- Send the candidate a message by clicking the Send message button - this will open your Martide inbox in a new browser.
To add a note about a candidate click the +Add note button on the top right. That will open this pop-up box:
Here you can:
- Select the Type of note from the drop down menu. (You can set your own Types under Settings > Notes.)
- Type the note into the text box.
- Upload or drag and drop an attachment from your computer. You can add more than one attachment.
When you're finished click Save and your note will appear on the candidate's profile page when you're in the Notes tab as well as on the profile overview as the last note made:
How to add a new candidate
To create a new candidate and add them to your database, click the blue + Add Candidate button at the top of the main Candidates page:
You will see this pop-up box:
Here you can:
- Enter the seafarer's email address, name and date of birth.
- Select a manning agent if you are an employer who outsources recruitment.
- Click the Add Candidate button and you'll be taken to their new profile page. It looks like the profile page we looked at above. Now you can fill in the candidate’s information by clicking the 3 vertical dots, the pen icon or the +Add buttons as before.
How to add a candidate to an assignment
There are 3 ways to add a candidate to an Assignment (a vacancy):
- Click the blue +Add to assignment button at the top of their candidate profile page (image 1) or
- Click the text +Add to assignment at the bottom of the Employment section in their profile (image 2.) or
- Click the 3 vertical dots in their overview on the Candidates page and click +Add to assignment in the drop down menu (image 3)
All methods take you to this pop-up box:
Here you can:
- Use the 2 drop down boxes at the top to find the rank and vessel you are submitting the candidate for.
- Click the circle next to the vessel and rank you want to apply the candidate to, then click the Add to assignment button and the candidate will be applied to that vacancy.
How to add manual employment
Click the text +Add manual employment at the bottom of the Employment section in the seafarer's profile:
That will open a pop-up box that looks like this:
Here you can:
- Select the vessel and rank from the drop down menus.
- Select the crew slot and manning agency from the drop down menus.
- Enter the actual left home and arrived home dates.
- Enter the estimated left home and arrived home dates.
- Enter the actual sign on and sign off dates.
- Enter the estimated sign on and sign off dates.
- Enter the contract termination reason:
- Click Save when you're done.
The manual employment will then appear in the Employment section:
How to filter candidates
On the main Candidates page, click the funnel icon at the top of the page:
You can filter candidates by: General, Personal, Employment & Work History, Medical, Documents, Visa, Status and Planning.
When you click on the funnel icon it opens up a side panel with all of the above filters. Click the down arrow next to each filter to search by various information:
The filters let you search by:
- General: name, email, seafarer pool, rank, manning agent, rank, availability dates and ex-crew.
- Personal: home country, home airport, date of birth, age, salary minimum and maximum, language, nationality, gender and phone number.
- Employment & Work History: start and end dates, vessel served on, vessel type, engine type and rank.
- Medical: medical test type, valid until date.
- Documents: document type, issuing country, document number, valid until date and if no documents have been uploaded.
- Visa: country
- Status: applicant or rejected.
- Planning: start at date, end at date, planned between dates, not planned between dates and planned status.
Tip: If you have several searches that you use a lot (e.g. by vessel, by rank, or any other combination) you can set your search parameters and save the resultpage in your browser's bookmarks. When you open the bookmark, you will get the search results for the filter you saved.
How to download candidate information
There are 2 ways to download information:
- Click the 3 vertical dots at the top of the Candidates page (image 1.) This will download all candidates' info.
- Click the 3 vertical dots at the top of a candidate's overview (image 2.) This will download that particular candidate's info.
A note about candidates
When you have added a candidate to a position and hired them, they will be moved to the Seafarers page.
We hope you've found this guide to the Candidates page helpful but if you need any other help please don't hesitate to get in touch here.